Richard advises on a broad range of disputes and investigations often involving multiple jurisdictions. Having spent several years in the tax department before moving into the Dispute Resolution group Richard has particular expertise in contentious tax matters. These range from the technical and practical issues underlying such matters and relations with tax authorities in the relevant jurisdiction to eventual litigation.
Highlights in this area include advising:
- several large groups on multiple tax issues addressed through the HMRC High Risks Corporate Programme, including production of substantial factual evidence and technical reports and addressing broader reputational and communication risks and obligations;
- a major international financial institution on parallel High Court and Tax Tribunal claims for restitution of tax unlawfully levied by HMRC
- a major international services company on multi-year VAT reclaims and associated issues with its contractual partners;
- several multinational organisations on potential criminal offences for corporates, including the UK and overseas aspects of the strict liability ‘failure to prevent the facilitation of tax evasion’ offences;
- a major financial services company on potential civil and criminal penalties in connection with alleged historic VAT issues.
Richard is a regular contributor to tax journals, particularly on topics of contentious tax. He is listed in the 2017 ITR Tax Controversy Leaders Guide.